Call for Artist – Open Call for Georgia Muralists and Painters — July 7, 2021
Who: Macon Transit Authority (MTA)
What: Create a visually captivating, Macon-centric painted mural
Where: The corner walls of the MTA Transfer Station at Fifth Street and Poplar Street, next to the Poplar Street tunnel in downtown Macon.
When: Deadline for design submissions is midnight, Sunday, July 25, 2021
Why: Funds for this project were awarded to the MTA through the Downtown Challenge Grant, 2.0 “to create a bold injection of new art, enlivening the dreary corner of Fifth and Poplar Streets and completing the Transfer Station’s wall of murals.”
Every MTA bus on every route passes this busy intersection numerous times a day during regular operations, Monday – Saturday.
OverviewThis is an open call for Georgia-based artists, specifically muralists and painters, to submit a design for the wraparound mural at the Macon-Bibb County Transit Authority’s Transfer Station on the corner of Fifth and Poplar Streets, next to the Poplar Street tunnel in downtown Macon.See photos and dimensions below of the wraparound mural.
Requirements for Applicant Submission
1. Detailed design proposal
2. Portfolio showcasing examples of previous, large scale mural projects completed by the submitting artist
3. Resume listing prior experiences in the visual arts, demonstrating the ability to complete a project of this size and magnitude, and to meet the completion deadline.
* An application is incomplete and will not be considered without all three elements listed above.
• The mural location is a prominent, well-traveled intersection in downtown Macon. Despite the pandemic, more than 354,000 bus riders passed through this intersection in 2020 not counting other vehicular traffic. The wraparound mural will join three long, individual murals at the Transfer Station and complete the entire mural wall.
• However, we are not seeking a continuation of any of those murals, nor a coordinating mural. Instead, we are seeking fresh new, imaginative art with an uplifting, positive vibe, with a nod to Macon — whether through imagery, scenery, or any other interpretation.
• Please remember that the two corner murals (one on Fifth Street and the other on Poplar Street) must be treated as one continuous, wraparound mural. Nothing else will be accepted.
• No political, provocative, or sexual designs will be considered and automatically will be eliminated.
• Please keep in mind that longevity and durability are important elements of this project. The mural must be created with quality materials that are rated for outdoor use and are able to survive changing Georgia weather and varying temperatures. A UV protective coating is recommended to finish and seal the mural in order to maximize the longevity of the art.Project Scope, Budget, and Timing
• A committee will choose the winning design and the decision of the committee is final.
• The approximate start date for the mural is November 1, 2021 with completion no later than March 1, 2022. The start date and/or completion date may be moved up with MTA approval, but neither date can be delayed.
• Funding for this project was awarded to the MTA through the Downtown Challenge Grant 2.0. The selected artist will be paid a total of $10,000, divided into two payments: $5,000 to be paid at the beginning of the project and the remaining $5,000 paid upon completion of the mural and MTA approval.
• The artist is responsible for procuring all materials and equipment for completion of the mural, including but not limited to supplies, sealants, and scaffolding.
Up to $4,000 is dedicated to the supplies budget and all expenditures are subject to MTA approval.
The deadline for design submissions is Sunday, July 25, 2021 by 11:59 p.m. The design selection committee will make a decision by August 2, 2021 and will notify the selected artist and all applicants by August 9, 2021.
Please email your submission with all required materials to email@example.com with the subject line “MTA Mural Application.”
Questions? Jami Gaudet, (478) 621-7207
Check the complete photos on our Facebook page, Macon-Bibb County Transit Authority