Safety on MTA Vehicles
The safety and security of our passengers, bus operators and employees is job-one at the Macon-Bibb County Transit Authority. Every passenger can help to make each ride a safe one with awareness of important safety tips for riding public transportation.
- Be aware of your surroundings while entering, exiting and riding MTA buses.
- Keep your valuables secure.
- Please be aware that you must have exact change to board an MTA bus.
- Cross the street safely by using cross walks and intersections, and at night, wear clothing that can be seen in the dark.
- Never cross the street in front of a bus.
- We discourage passengers from running across traffic lanes to catch a bus, so for everyone’s safety, please arrive at your stop at least ten (10) minutes before a scheduled stop.
- Watch your step when boarding and exiting a bus and use railings and handholds.
- When a customer gets injured on one of our vehicles, typically, the injury is the result of stumbling, slipping, or falling, so proceed with care.
- When exiting through the rear door, pay attention to the closing doors and take special precaution on the steps, particularly the high ones.
- When boarding a bus, please fold all umbrellas and place at your side with pointed end down.
- Be careful when moving around on a bus, especially on rainy days when the floor is wet and can become slippery.
- If an emergency occurs (accident/fire/medical), remain calm and always follow the instructions of your bus operator, the police and/or fire officials.
Courtesy on MTA Vehicles
An important part of safety is being courteous to others who are sharing the ride.
- Operating a bus takes concentration, so, please keep distractions to a minimum.
- Limit questions for the bus operator and/or conversations with him/her to when the vehicle is stopped.
- Count your bus fare in advance and have exact change for the bus operator which helps everyone board quickly and assists the bus operator in adhering to the schedule.
- Passengers may request that a driver “kneel” the bus for safety purposes while loading and unloading a bus.
- When a rider is boarding a vehicle with the lift mechanism, please allow ample space for that person and for the bus operator.
- The seats behind the driver are designated for passengers with disabilities, senior citizens, and pregnant women. Please respect your fellow citizens who may need these seats.
- Young children should be removed from strollers and placed on a seat or held on an adult’s lap.
- Strollers must be folded and placed securely out of the way of other riders.
- Music must be enjoyed through headphones and played quietly enough so that other riders cannot hear it.
- Please limit phone conversations on MTA and in the Transfer Station and keep calls as quiet and private as possible.
- If a bus is crowded, please remove your packages from the seat so others may sit.
Behavior on MTA Vehicles
The Macon Transit Authority expects all passengers to behave in a polite, responsible and civil manner.
- Proper attire is expected, to include shirts, shoes and pants.
- Language on any public transportation vehicle should be appropriate and respectful.
- Foul language will not be tolerated and MTA reserves the right to remove unruly, uncooperative or impaired passengers from a bus.
- No destruction of property will be tolerated.
- No littering or throwing anything inside or out of a bus.
- No eating, drinking or smoking.
- No weapons or alcohol.
- No soliciting.
- No gambling.
Security at Macon Transit
The MTA has 24-hour security at the Terminal Station and will not tolerate:
- Illegal activities
- Fighting or violent behavior
- Willful destruction or theft of property
We value our customers and we want every trip aboard an MTA vehicle to be safe and enjoyable. If you have any questions or comments, please call us at (478) 803-2500, or fill out our customer service form which can be found inside the Transit Center.
Thank you for riding with MTA!
We’re happy to have you on board, so sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!