Traveling with Bikes on MTA Vehicles
Every MTA bus has a bike rack and we encourage bike riders to use our buses to complete their travel, subject to the following rules:
- Passengers are responsible for loading and unloading a bike onto the rack.
- Drivers do not get off the buses to load or unload bikes.
- Bikes are not allowed on the buses and must be placed on the bike racks only.
- Bike racks carry two bikes at a time and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Instructions for Loading and Unloading a Bike
- Get the bus driver’s attention before loading and unloading your bike.
- Remove loose items from the bike.
- If the bike rack is empty, squeeze the handle to release the latch and fold down the rack.
- For safety purposes, only load your bike from the curbside or in front of the bus.
- Lift your bike into the available wheel slot. Use the farthest slot from the bus.
- Raise and release the support arm over the top of the front tire, not on the fender or the frame.
- As you approach your stop, notify the bus driver that you will be departing and removing your bike.
- Raise the support arm off the tire. Move the support arm down and out of the way.
- Lift your bike out of the rack.
- Return the rack to the upright position if there is not another bike on the rack.
Use a bike rack on MTA buses at your own risk. MTA is not liable nor responsible for loss or damage to bicycles and/or any personal injury that may occur from use of the bike racks.
- Proper attire is expected, to include shirts, shoes and pants.
- Language on any public transportation vehicle should be appropriate and respectful.
- Foul language will not be tolerated and MTA reserves the right to remove unruly, uncooperative, or impaired passengers from the bus.
- No destruction of property is tolerated.
- No littering or throwing anything inside or out of a bus.
- No eating, drinking or smoking.
- No weapons or alcohol.
- No soliciting.
- No gambling.
Purchase bus tickets and MTA Smart Cards at the dispatch booth in the Terminal Station.
Find bus routes, the location of bus stops and schedules.
The latest info from the MTA.
Click below for our employment and disability applications.